Our hospital has a long and proud history as a health care provider and innovator in Minneapolis. The following tells the story of how Abbott Northwestern was built from a collection of great health care organizations into a leading regional medical center and the Twin Cities largest non-profit hospital.
1882 Northwestern Hospital
It was a wintry November day in 1882 when Harriet Walker summoned 44 women to lay plans for what would become Northwestern Hospital for Women and Children. Opened in a small rented house one month later as a charity hospital, Northwestern Hospital dedicated the first structure built specifically for hospital use on June 10, 1887, at the corner of Chicago Avenue and 27th Street in Minneapolis.
1902 Abbott Hospital for Women
Somewhat prophetically, Dr. Amos Abbott was named consulting physician to Northwestern’s first medical staff. Twenty years after joining Northwestern Hospital in 1902 (and less than a mile away), Dr. Abbott left to start a community hospital for women bearing his name. While it was not founded as a charity hospital, Dr. Abbott’s kindness often caused him to reduce or waive fees for those who could not afford to pay.Read More